Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Very First King Size Bed



Away in a Manger 

First published in 1885 in a Lutheran Sunday school book, the poem is often mistakenly attributed to Martin Luther himself, but in actuality the author is unknown. In 1895 William J. Kirkpatrick put the words to music:


Away in a manger, 
no crib for a bed, 
the little Lord Jesus, 
lay down his sweet head. 
The stars in the sky 
looked down where he lay, 
the little Lord Jesus, 
asleep on the hay.


Simple and sweet, this song takes me back to childhood. My parents didn't have a lot of money, but I felt rich with joyful anticipation. On Christmas eve, during the car trip home from my Great Aunt Josie's cozy little house in the city, my four sisters and I would sing carols. We knew a ton of them, but someone always requested Away in a Manger. Ahh, the memories.

For your convenience, read a sample right now.