Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Weird Hat Club

The other day my kids informed me that there's 100 shopping days left until Christmas. As I'm writing this (9-19-2012), it's now 97 shopping days until Christmas. Oh, boy, where does the time go (and the money)? It's easy to buy for my nieces and nephews--gift cards!  I prefer to spread out holiday expenses over the course of the year, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to buy ahead of the rush. I have no idea what the HOT ticket items of 2012 are going to be. Sure, the newest i-gadget, but my kids will definitely not be getting one of those. Often times I have to veto items on the list because they're not age appropriate or they're too expensive. Regardless, this year it looks like I'm going to be hitting the stores during the "official" shopping season. I hate that.

The one thing already on the list for this year is this crazy-looking hat. It's the coveted Stony Purple Laplander (see photo below) from Spencer's Gifts. As a kid I wouldn't have been caught dead in something so undignified, but styles change. Last school year when I picked up the kids from school I noticed all kinds of wild hats bopping around the school grounds--from bears to sock monkeys, from Sponge Bob to Angry Birds. I did find it amusing, but I never expected my kids to join the Weird Hat Club. They're going to look back at those hats someday and cringe. Then again, maybe it will give them a good laugh.


For your convenience, read a sample right now.