Thursday, September 6, 2012

Back To School Nostalgia



The smell of a fresh markers lingers in the air. The sound of the school bus roars down the lane. Mom shouts, "Get your shoes on it's almost here!" She looks down at two pairs of bare feet. "Where are your socks?" I yell.  

Yep, school is in session again. As a kid I LOVED summer vacation, but I secretly looked forward to that first week of school. Like my bag of new school supplies, it was a chance to start fresh, a symbol of change and new experiences. My own children enjoy shopping for supplies and can't wait to permanent marker their names onto everything. This year my daughter decided to permanent marker her name onto all her brother's supplies as well. Needless to say, that didn't go over very well.

The kids are now back and class and come home full of stories about their day. It's interesting to listen to their perspective on things, ranging from the quality of the school's chicken nuggets, to tectonic plates and the Civil War, and how so-and-so picked his nose. 

I remember elementary school as a happy place--mostly. Preparing for re-entry meant an exciting trip to the local Ayr-Way (which is now a Target Store). I'd come home with brand new school supplies in anticipation of a new year. There were erasers, No. 2 pencils, glue, binders, book bags and the way cool supply box. In my day the supply box was always made of cardboard and came wallpapered in a dizzying array of styles. Choosing the design was the highlight of my school supply shopping experience. Often the lid was torn off my month three. 

Nowadays the essential supply box is made of tougher stuff. So is the curriculum, which is both good and bad. I like to see kids learn, but don't get me started on the homework! Up until the 6th grade I didn't have it, but my kids are drowning in it. I'll save that topic for another post. In the meantime, how about a box of crayons with new and pointy tips? Lovely! 


For your convenience, read a sample right now.